The technology we use at Smart Metal Design, called additive technology, consists in metallizing an existing part in an electrolytic bath to get a metal thickness from a few microns up to several millimeters. There are 4 main concepts.
Mechanical coating with thin or thick deposit to bring extra mechanical properties to the part: shock resistance, temperature resistance, protection against abrasion, better demolding, better surface finish…
– Functional parts
– Pieces of art
– Concept cars
Thin electrolytic plating on a part to give it a metal look
– Cosmetic parts
– Decorative parts
100% metal parts entirely made by electroforming from a mold or from a wax (that can be 3d printed) that will be removed after metallization only to keep the metal part.
– Complex parts
– Hollow bodies
Our added value:
- Compatible materials :
- Rapid prototyping: 3d prints (SLA / SLS / FDM / MJF…) casting resin.
- Plastic: (ABS, PC, PEEEK, PVC, PEI…)
- Metal: aluminium, steel, brass, copper
- Other: glass, composite…
- Thick coating: from a few microns up to several milimeters: cold touch, metal look, strength,
- Big sizes (up to 7000x4000x2500mm)
- Wide range of finishes : nickel, copper, precious metal (gold, ruthenium, palladium…)
- Metallization of prototypes, unit parts, small and medium series.